Search This Blog

Thursday, January 27, 2011

What is Low Latent Inhibition? Find out its Pros, Cons and diagnosis

Low latent inhibition

Michael Scofield is the main protagonist in the American television series Prison Break. In this series, Michael was diagnosed to be suffering from LOW LATENT INHIBITION. It is here, i got an idea to right a post about LLI.

The brains of creative people appear to be more open to incoming stimuli from the surrounding environment. Other people's brains might shut out this same information through a process called "latent inhibition" - defined as an animal's unconscious capacity to ignore stimuli that experience has shown are irrelevant to its needs. Through psychological testing, the researchers showed that creative individuals are much more likely to have low levels of latent inhibition.

This means that creative individuals remain in contact with the extra information constantly streaming in from the environment. The normal person classifies an object, and then forgets about it, even though that object is much more complex and interesting than he or she thinks. The creative person, by contrast, is always open to new possibilities.

As you grow, the mind learns to label objects and filter out extraneous information.This filtering process is called 'latent inhibition' - and it means that the conscious mind is only aware of a fraction of the data being processed by the brain. In some rare cases, the ability to filter incoming data is decreased. People with LLI (low latent inhibition) are incapable of seeing things in terms of labels. They notice an awful lot more. Reality becomes more vivid and alive. Everyone has different levels of latent inhibition. It can become a problem if the inhibition process is radically decreased. LLI is not a disease. You do not suffer from it. It is a dysfunction that has both positive and negative sides.

For most people, reality is experienced piecemeal. They concentrate on one task at the exclusion of other things. Whilst typing on the computer, hearing diminishes, smell diminishes - the awareness is narrowed. With LLI this is not the case at all. The input is constant. Your awareness does not fluctuate. It only oscillates between hyper-awareness and extreme-awareness - with the latter being something to be concerned about. LLI puts you in touch with the raw immediacy of reality. The overwhelming sensory input means that you experience everything simultaneously: the humming of the computer, the flickering of the monitor, the feel of the clothing you wear, your emotions, the bird in your garden, the smell of coffee... Every miniscule detail happening around you is felt in its entirety. This does not mean that you read every word, remember every facet, but you do see it, smell it, hear it, taste it and feel it. The information is absorbed. Your mind is sponge-like in its capacity to pick things up. You learn from them, and demonstrate new insights and understanding.

Pros-
  • You notice more, hear more, smell more and feel more through tactile contact. Without any conscious effort, your mind is in possession of a broader intake of information.
  • Upon encountering any form of stimulus (that interests you), your mind automatically dismantles and explores its components.
  • You usually see through the lies and the deceptions that people use in everyday life.
  • When learning, you can often make instantaneous changes.
  • Self-correction is easy because the underlying principle is more evident. Clearer.
  • You make connections and associations between seemingly unrelated material.
  • Comprehension is typically easy. You notice the non-verbal background information and this often provides a more comprehensive picture than what is being spoken.
  • There are exponential leaps of insight taking place all the time, with the background reasoning intact. Wave-upon-wave of permutations, options, variables and choices.
  • Creativity is a given. You see alternatives.
  • You notice things that other people miss.
  • There is no talking voice in your head. No 'chattering monkey'. The volume and complexity of the information drowns out conscious thought entirely.
  • Verbalising what takes place in your mind is impossible. Words render only a fraction of the entirety.
  • You see the world more thoroughly.
  • Listening to other people talking/thinking aloud can be infuriating. They are at point A when you have reached point N already.
  • Learning is not limited to defined periods of academic study. The assimilation of information is constant, ongoing and never static. There are no lulls or pauses. Everything offers a lesson.
  • Within the maelstrom of information there exists a place of calm and quietude. The eye of the storm. No verbalisation exists. No internal narrative. Just presence. No sense of self to intrude of interrupt.
Cons-
  • Education is awkward. Schools are not set-up to cater with this disorder. The way in which things are approached by schools seems piecemeal and incomplete.
  • It is difficult to write/type/speak quickly enough to articulate ideas and the breadth of the permutations involved.
  • Tact is necessary. People lie constantly.
  • LLI makes driving a car difficult. Your brain notices countless dangers and variables, and you become overwhelmed and nervous.
  • Hypervigilance can lead to anxiety.
  • Illusions are not very effective. You see through things without wanting to. Conventions and traditions have no significance.
  • You do not value what other people value.
  • Filtering out the variables and honing your options to something workable can be very difficult. Every solution potentially harbours new problems, new variables and new concerns.
  • People may find you to be a little odd, unorthodox or a little intense.
  • You have a habit of saying things that do not fit the accepted norm of behaviour. You often choose to disregard conventions because they serve no constructive purpose.
  • Background noise is a major problem. Noisy neighbours can cause serious stress.
  • Noticing things does not mean that you understand them. If anything, the abundance of what might be known lessens the desire to accumulate widespread knowledge.

AWARENESS:
A person experiencing LLI is not initially aware that they have the condition. To them, how they regard the world seems perfectly normal. Nothing unusual is apparent - they do not know anything else. The condition may become apparent through the differences in what you say and see, relative to other people. In many cases the condition remains undiagnosed.

DO YOU HAVE LLI?
If you believe you have LLI, you probably don't. It is hard to self-diagnose yourself because individuals with LLI don't know any different than what they see every day. They believe everyone sees what they see.

22 comments:

  1. Thanks for this. It's fascinating. For another take, look up Dabrowski's Overexcitability. You might also look up "Profound Giftedness," especially on the Center of Gifted Development's website and Hoagie's Gifted website.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1)While several of your points here are fairly correct for LLI, it is not a dysfunction. It is a variation on the same functional strategies used by everyone else. 2) Have you written a post, or have you righted a wrong post? lol, grammar is everything! 3) It's possible I have this condition and have been researching it for a while now along with working with various professionals in the psychiatric/psychology fields. Some of the listed pros and cons actually do have some merit, though I feel some are a bit dramatized. I can drive a car just fine. In fact it's possible I'm better at driving due to it. However I do usually feel like the emotional equivalent of having handled a jackhammer afterwards. The intensity followed by that ringing numbness. I also exhibit seeing things as their constituents rather than the base label, along with pretty much the gamut of likely genetic preconditions, life experiences, and character traits. As someone who could have this, I personally found this article *slightly sensationalized, but with several good identifiers and some good general information. I came to suspect this condition for myself due to an endless number of variances between the way I see things and the way others do. I see things normally as far I'm concerned, but when opened to the scrutiny of society I have marked variations. Paying close attention to and questioning the differences between my experiences and others led me to identify the areas of divergence which I used to begin the list of searchable criteria for reasons of the differences. Those initial variables have led me to more and more information on LLI which constantly reaffirms it as a fit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have LLI and another major con for me is sensory overload. Im in high school and i constantly get headaches and cannot shut out the constant talking of my ignorant classmates, along with the the constant noise from to AC, and the clicks of pens and sounds from mechanical penclis... If you also have LLI you understand EXACTLY what im talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please, can someone give me more websites or books to read on this subject or related disorders/dysfunctions.. etc??? I found another website with this almost exact post and I'm wondering where I can find more information. I'm 22 and have never been diagnosed with anything that sticks. OCD. Bi-polar. Depression. A non- verbal learning disability. etc. I have been to countless psychiatrists, psychologists, and therapists. I have known something was different about me for a long time and have had to search on my own for something that fits, and this is the only thing that explains to me most of all, whats going on in my head. I am tired of being punished for something I don't even have a name for. I didn't graduate highschool because, well, I was tired of putting up with not only the ignorance (as best a word as any) of not only my classmates, but the teachers as well, so I dropped out. I am still trying to establish myself in the wonderful (no sarcasm meant) world of college but for the life of me, I cannot decide on one thing (I may be a 'privileged' child but money does not grow on trees) and thus I cannot go to school forever- which I would love to do! (what 11 year old plans out their college career class by class, semester by semester, for a PhD in Microbiology specifically in Epidemiology and Virology??) I can, however, with someones help, figure this out and at least have some idea of what I might be for sure up against.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And has anyone else with this noticed that when you play a game- strategic games specifically- that you are all over the board and always at least 3 moves ahead of your opponent? be it chess or anything else? And do you find it as aggravating as I do that everyone else thinks slower than you think?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always feel like I can't relate to people. I find it hard to hold a conversation when all I can do is look around the room at all the noise that is booming. I always here when someone calls my name once and I don't understand how sometimes I have to call out someone's name several times to get there attention. I can't watch movies with out noticing everything in the background. The only thing I can do to block out noise is to put on headphones and listen to podcasts. I can always feel the tags on my shirts do I end up cutting them off I can even feel the print on a tshirt if it has a picture. I always thought everybody was like this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Come find me on the face book low latent inhibition group, and myself/another admin will accept. It should help a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i watched the prison braek series yesterday and am glad i know why some persons are more intelligent that the other. amama clement nigeria

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay! I'm not the only one watching prison break 4 years after the series are over.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "You often choose to disregard conventions because they serve no constructive purpose."

    I find it interesting that you consider this to be a con.

    I'd describe it as constantly imagining the world around me as I know or believe it to be. Typically it is discused as seeing components, nuts, bolts, everything. I suspect that I am not the only one in this, but for me this extends to skeletons, organs etc too. Which is disconcerting to say the least. Actually, I'd like to amend world to universe.

    It was a while ago that I realised this wasn't normal, but it wasn't until prison break aired that I put a name to it (although I am sure there are other possibilities). I never really thought about connecting the whole calling-of-name thing to this until I read it above.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I might have it as well. If you want to ask me about it or just talk about it you can e-mail me: Poebes123@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been diagnosed with this condition. Pros/cons, what have you, the only real disadvantage I'm told, is that the overload of stimuli sometimes wears me out. I agree with this. But like the article stated, there was no way I would have ever figured it out if I hadn't been diagnosed by a mental health professional. Sadly there's not much to do to 'treat' the condition. Which is all the same to me really. I know I'm different than most people, but I don't know anything different so it doesn't seem to be a hinderance to me. i am fortunate enough to be able to pursue creative arts as a career, which I think is what has saved me from the insanity. I've read that in some cases people will exhibit symptoms of schizophrenia as well as bipolar or OCD. Fortunately this only happens when I don't get enough sleep.

    It is a little frustrating that it seems to be on it's way to being a fashionable disorder. I've only interacted with a few other LLI people, and most seem to think it gives them Prison Brea/Sherlock Holmes super powers. So far I'm not a famous detective or a successful escape artist, so who knows.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always thought this was how everyone thought. does anyone else use the ability to read through lies as a game? Testing people... I also practice lucid dreaming little too much.

    iblucid@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. www.lowlatentinhibition.org - official low latent inhibition site.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks to Anonymous poster for the official website, very helpful. It's ironically a bit of sensory overload, but I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. No problem - I've still got a lot of work to do on the site with the others who're making it with me. As im sure you're aware it can take people with LLI quite a while to do some things with going off on tangents constantly =)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I see things differently and things do happen in a different way when it comes to me. I call it a miracle but at times I wonder beyond. But I was very impress to hear something like this was a dysfunction in the first place. What else is it out there to learn about the human body?

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's like being on an acid trip for your whole life,

    It's not easy. People expect brilliant things from you and they also expect stability. Of the two, stability is harder to deliver.

    I wouldn't trade in my LLI for anything else. But it's not easy to live this way, believe me.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have often wondered if this is really what is 'wrong' with me. I'm diagnosed bipolar, but while I do have long, deep depressions and moderate length manias, the depressions usually result from a period of feeling constantly misunderstood, and the manias from a sensory overload that generally results in very mild psychosis.

    ReplyDelete
  20. If you really want your mind blown, the entire TV series of prison break was about multiple people with various degrees of LLI locked in a battle of wills. The General, the mother, michael, T-Bag, mahone, gretchen, and agent kellerman. They all had LLI. It's a paradigm of exactly what is occuring in the world around us. All of these characters are realistic versions of the dirversity of people with LLI.

    If you actually look at the world around us, the entire historic evolution of man when it comes to technology, politics, philosophy, science, religion, and economics, has all been created by people with LLI. These people shape the world in many ways.

    For example. Catholicism was created by the emperer Constantine as a social engineering project to create a unified Roman empire. He united and entire empire through his creation. As a direct result of the powerful united roman empire, the persian empire created Islam to as a counter to Catholicism. Judaism was made up to bring order to the Jews when they left the Egyptian empire, who also had their own systems.

    Every person falls on a scale of latent inhibition, with IQ and latent inhibition correlating directly to the ability of the person.

    If you hadn't noticed, I have LLI and a high IQ, lol. My personal focus has been on social engineering and the systems created to manage the masses.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I actually came up with a theory to explain schizophrenia and ADHD to somehow be similar to each other, and it so happened to match Low Latent Inhibition very very much. As a short explanation to why schizophrenia occurs, imagine there are 50 objects in the environment, the normal person is only aware of 10, the LLI is aware of all 50. The creative genius is processing all 50 + whatever else is in their mind. The schizophrenic is processing 30, and the other 20 holes are filled by delusion and hallucination.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I don't know much about schizo (except my mother thinks I have it) but above theory sounds pretty good to explain normal, LLI, and schizophrenic.

    I too started rewatching Prison Break on Netflix 3 weeks ago. Yesterday I started season 4. Anyways it was Prison Break that first introduced me to the LLI idea. Until now I constanted wondered why most people are so slow and unoriginal.

    Anyways, good times, this is something to think about. I would like to take a test for this. Although I have to say I checked off most of the items on above list; pro and con. I disagree with the driving point, I'm definitely the best driver on the road. Always leaving room for the other guy and often trying to line up the edge of my car with the line on the road. Why not.

    I've found that opium based products sometimes ease this condition. However, that is a dangerous and deadly road (I've heard). I don't want to get any scripts from headshrinkers. Understanding this dysfunction could allow for comfort instead of sensory overload at times perhaps.

    For example, recently I've tried switching to listening to simple pop music (I hate it), instead of public radio and extreme classical and jam rock. Getting the politics out of my mind helped alot.

    I wonder if people with LLI are more left-wing or right wing? Of course that is dependant on knowledge and other things but .....

    ReplyDelete