Search This Blog

Sunday, July 03, 2011

Being close with your animals may feel good, but being too close may kill you

Do you love your pets so much that they sleep in your bed? Well, being close with your animals may feel good, but being too close may kill you:

Although they are not common, documented cases show people contracting infections by getting too cozy with their animals, according to work by researchers in California.

These so-called zoonoses include contracting plague from flea-infested pets, a MRSA (Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus) infection, a bacterial infection resistant to multiple strains of antibiotics originating from the canine family, and various parasitic worms.

Bruno Chomel, a professor at the School of Veterinary Medicine at the University of California, Davis, said the research was prompted by stories he heard from his students when they described their relationships with their pets, and also from pet owners in general.


Tags:
Infections, zoonoses, MRSA, Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus, antibiotics, parasitic worms, Veterinary Medicine

1 comment:

  1. I was late to arrive at my home, so I decided to take a taxi. I stopped at the edge of the sidewalk and looked around. Nothing. I continued walking, maybe I was lucky later. I came to a busy corner and had another look. The few taxis that crossed in front of me were already occupied. I checked my watch and just missing twenty minutes to start another chapter of my favorite soap opera and in a desperate attempt to get there in time I jumped on a bus covered with human beings, I managed to lay hold of a tube with the index and ring fingers, and with the other hand, an arm that could see out there, fearing that I slide the portfolio that was firmly tucked under the armpit.

    ReplyDelete